Wednesday, January 12

A new Beginning!

It is 2011. It's hard to believe that it's already 2011. I have turned 26 and that is a little hard to admit. I am excited about having my own stake in the infinite world of the interweb. I look forward to sharing snippets of my life. I'm hoping to blog at least once a week, if not more.

Today was a snow day! I took pictures but I haven't uploaded them yet. I am not great at staying on top of the whole photo thing. I'm working on it, being that it's a new year and all. Both kids had fun and Trevor and I mostly had fun. Snow just isn't the same when you're grown up. It's COLD! You never remember it being so cold. When you're a kid you just go with gusto.

I'm looking forward to posting all about the daily whatnot. I will start the year with a recipe!

Loaded Baked Potato Soup: Yields 8 or more servings (not sure I just make a big pot!)

6 strips of bacon
1 medium onion, chopped
3 to 4 ribs of celery finely chopped
1 to 2 carrots peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic very finely chopped
1/4 tsp each crushed red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper
1 tsp of lawry's seasoned salt
1/4 cup flour
2 32oz containers of chicken stock (or your own)
6 ish good size russet baking potatoes already baked and cubed
1 pint heavy cream
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese (by hand is preferred because it's smoother in the soup)
salt and pepper to taste
chives and extra cheddar and sour cream for garnish

Cut the bacon into small pieces (about 1/2 inch) and fry in your soup pot over medium high heat until crisp. keep the grease! Keep the bits!
while bacon is going chop up your veggies.
measure out 4 tbs of bacon fat and put it back in the soup pot
add veggies and cook till softened over medium heat
add the seasonings and garlic
then the stock
then the potato cubes
bring it all to a simmer and let it simmer uncovered for at least 1/2 an hour
add the heavy cream and continue to simmer for 15 minutes (if you think your soup is too thin by all means simmer longer, the longer it simmers the thicker it will be!)
when the soup is as thick as you like take it off of the heat and add your cheese
stir it up and taste add salt and/or pepper top with extra shredded cheese, bacon, sour cream and chives, or nothing at all as it's wonderful just plain!

I will try to post a photo of this scrumptious  dish tomorrow!

This was the perfect soup for this snowy day! Happy reading and Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment