Thursday, January 27

Red Curry Soup (Vegan, Gluten Free, Daniel Fast Friendly)

There is a great place in this country called Arcata, CA. It's a college town, it's a hippie town, it's a haven for all green people. There is a wonderful little hole in the wall soup and noodle place called Japhy's! Trevor (the DH) and I would always get the curry soup special. Red or green Thai style curry vegetable or chicken over jasmine rice. Anyone who has eaten at this place will tell you it is SO GOOD!!! So, as we were on day 3 of our Daniel Fast I knew I could try to imitate that soup and still be within the fast guidelines. Here is my take on red curry soup.

I can also submit this recipe once again to the SOS kitchen challenge! WOOHOO!!!


Red Curry Soup: Serves 6. Prep time: 10 minutes or so. Cook time: 55 minutes ish.

3 Tbs coconut oil
1 medium onion chopped
2 celery ribs chopped
2-3 carrots peeled then cut on the bias, thinly
1 yellow squash ends trimmed sliced down the middle then cut into half moons
1 zucchini ends trimmed sliced down the middle then cut into half moons
3-4 potatoes diced
1 inch piece of ginger root grated
3 cloves of garlic grated
1 Tbs red curry paste
7 oz of extra firm tofu cubed
1 14 oz. can of coconut milk ( I used the "lite" one)
32 oz. of vegetable stock
Juice of half a lime
Salt to taste
12 stems of cilantro (for the end)


Start with your coconut oil over medium heat in your trusty soup pot. Wait till it's nice and hot then add the onions, celery, carrots, squash, zucchini and potatoes. Cook for about 10 minutes.


Add the garlic, ginger, and curry paste and stir to coat the veggies. Add the coconut milk and veg stock.


*side note: I openly admit that I have never ever cooked with tofu before this recipe. I've eaten it before at restaurants and like it enough so I figured I would give it a shot! Also, I have no idea how to cook it, the only thing I profess to know about tofu is that it takes on flavors of whatever recipe it is in. So I added it after the soup was put together and simmering.

I'm new at all this... so forgive me!

So after the coconut milk and veg stock I let my soup come to a slow simmer and waited about 1/2 an hour before adding the tofu. You can add it whenever you want! The soup should simmer at least 45 minutes. After the veggies are tender the soup is done. Turn off the heat and add the lime juice. Taste the soup and add salt if necessary. Mine needed just a pinch.


Serve over rice and top with 2 stems worth of cilantro leaves. Now, even if you don't like cilantro, like myself, trust me, it's totally necessary.


I hope I'm doing Japhy's proud with this take on their soup. Now that we live in what the city people call "upstate" New York, it's a little bit of a haul to get to their great place! This is a perfect winter recipe. I will give you fair warning, it's pretty spicy!

Stay tuned for some Daniel Fast breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. i'm pretty jealous of all your cooking! how do you have the energy to do it all! wow!

    ReplyDelete