Monday, January 24

Vegan Island Chili!

I was in my kitchen, trying to come up with a twist on veggie chili. Then it hit me, I saw the ginger root in my fruit bowl and I wanted to use the coconut oil that I purchased yesterday. I just couldn't figure out a name! Thanks to the MIL and a Church friend I have my recipe name! I am going to submit this recipe to Affairs of Living for their latest giveaway! This is also a Daniel Fast recipe. We are on day two and so far so good!





Here's the recipe:

Vegan Island Chili: Serves at least 8. Prep time:  20 minutes Cook time: varies, but at least an hour.

2 Tbs Coconut oil
1 large onion chopped
1 celery rib chopped
2 carrots peeled and chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 small zucchini chopped
1 jalapeno diced finely
1 inch of ginger root diced finely
3 cloves of garlic diced finely
1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 15.5 oz can of red kidney beans
1 15.5 oz can of pink beans
2 15.5 oz cans of black beans
1 handful of fresh cilantro torn apart a bit
2 Tbs ground cumin
1 Tbs Chili powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
juice of half a lime.

For those of you who don't know: Coconut oil is a solid at room temperature. It's interesting stuff. So, place the coconut oil in your handy dandy soup pot over medium heat. When the oil is all heated up and liquidy add your onions, celery, carrots, pepper, zucchini, and jalapeno.

Cook for about 5-7 minutes then add the ginger and garlic. Cook for another 3 minutes or so.

Add the tomatoes, and all the beans. I don't always drain and rinse my canned beans. This is one of those times. I think that the water and whatnot they pack the beans in gives chili a nice consistency. You can do what you like though, rinse or not.

It's up to you.

Give the chili a good stir then add all the spices and cilantro. You can adjust the spices for how hot you want your chili. I would say that mine was hovering around medium spicy. You can add more jalapeno at the beginning too. You can always leave out the cayenne and the red pepper flakes if you want milder chili. The jalapeno though is kinda necessary, at least for me. But you can adjust the "hot" things to your liking.

Simmer on medium low for an hour or two or four. If you have a woodstove heating your house you can put your soup pot on that and not waste any gas or electricity!

I miss my woodstove!!!

This is also a good point to move to a crock pot for a while. After it's all done hit it with the lime juice and give the chili a stir. Serve immediately over rice, or with tortilla chips!

I hope you enjoy. Please try it with the ginger! I know it sounds crazy!!! It surprised me with how good it is!!! Also, apologies for the low quality phone pic! My computer and my camera are acting up!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I'm a big fan of chili in winter and always love to come across new recipes. And I think ginger in this sounds perfect. :) Thanks so much for submitting to the SOS Challenge this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now we're talking! I adore chili, and your version sounds lovely. I love it when chili is full of tasty veggies, and the ginger is a great twist. THanks for participating in this month's SOS Kitchen CHallenge, and good luck with the coconut oil. It is great to see your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful image in your header, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete